Thai X-ing is our favorite Thai restaurant in DC, and one of our favorite dishes is their pumpkin curry. Here is my husband John’s take on it.
1 small pumpkin (1 lb.)
1 cup coconut milk
4-5 Kaffir lime leaves*
½ tsp. salt
3-4 sprigs Thai basil
1 cup water
1-2 tablespoons red curry paste
Molasses, to taste
Brown sugar, to taste
1-2 Star Anise
*You can substitute the Kaffir leaves with a 2-3 bay leaves, lime rind form 1/2 a lime , and lime juice to taste; and the chili pepper for a jalapeño
- Slice pumpkin and remove seeds. Peel and chop into 1 ½ inch cubes..
- Julienne red chili pepper.
- In a medium pot over medium heat, pour half of the coconut milk
- Add red curry paste and mix well. Stir to prevent the mixture from sticking and burning. When the reddish oil emerges, stir to bring out the flavor of the spices.
- Add pumpkin and coat with sauce
- Add the rest of the coconut milk and salt (you can add more at the end)
- Simmer for about 15 minutes until the pumpkin is tender.
- Add molasses and sugar until slightly sweet, to taste
- Add sliced pepper, lime leaves, and basil.
- Remove from heat and stir.
This dish is always better the next day!