“THAT YE PUT OFF CONCERNING THE FORMER CONVERSATION THE OLD MAN, WHICH IS CURRUPT ACCORDING TO THE DECEITFUL LUSTS AND BE RENEWED IN THE SPIRIT OF YOUR MIND; AND THAT YOU PUT ON THE NEW MAN, WHICH AFTER GOD IS CREATED IN RIGHTEOUSNESS AND TRUE HOLINESS.” (Ephesians 4:22-24) The Seal of The Holy Ghost In A Believer’s Heart is the Miracle of New Testament Christianity. When you are sealed by the Holy Ghost the devil is helpless unless he can seduce you in breaking that seal by willful acts of disobedience.
Conversion to Jesus Christ without a sovereign work of the Holy Ghost is utterly impossible. It is the Holy Ghost that is responsible for every aspect of our spiritual life, but nothing transcends the “sealing of the believer” at the moment of our new birth. This is one of those breathtaking ministries that is performed by this Sovereign person that has escaped definition in much of today’s theology. If you will put your life into the middle of this article, you will never be the same.
Let me list for you five unique things this sealing by the Holy Ghost reflects in your life. Before you read these five great ideas concerning this seal, note this passage of Scripture that places this truth in context. Part of this scripture is stated above, but now you see the whole truth perfected stated. “That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; And be renewed in the spirit of your mind; And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness. Wherefore putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another. Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil. Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labor, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth. Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers. And grieve not the Holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption. Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamor, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ’s sake hath forgiven you.” (Ephesians 4:22-32). What a brilliance revelation of our new life.
1. First, God’s eternal security program begins at this marvelous moment. While I am, at least, a partial Arminian and believer in the continuing free choice of man, choosing otherwise is impossible as long as this seal is secure. Apostle Paul described this securing seal and our responsibility to not offend the Holy Ghost that effects the seal. “And grieve not the holy Spirit of God, whereby ye are sealed unto the day of redemption.” (Ephesians 4:30). This seal is like a signet stamped upon the Believer’s heart by none other than the restraining person of the Holy Ghost. This seal says to every alien power that might challenge your soul, “This is God’s property, keep your hands off.”
2. The devil’s primary action against your soul is to break that seal, because that seal bars him at the door. All the devil can do as long as the seal of the Holy Ghost is upon your life is to scream at you, cast fiery darts and attack this barrier that envelopes you like a spiritual fortress. No wonder Paul said, “Neither give place to the devil.” (Ephesians 4:27). The devil has no door into your life until the seal of the Holy Spirit is broken.
3. When you are sealed by the Holy Ghost, it protects the inner person, as well as the outer person. Apostle Paul told the Romans, “The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with [him], that we may be also glorified together.” (Romans 8:16-17). The Holy Ghost seal is not a distant act, but a personal act, whereby He actually seals your very spirit with Himself giving confidence and assurance of your secure salvation. This is the witness that satisfies the deepest need of security in the soul. This is why newborn believers are so full of joy and ready to testify to every person that will listen.
4. The Holy Spirit actually takes up residence inside the human spirit. Again Apostle Paul told the Romans, “But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness. But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.” (Romans 8:9-11). The Holy Spirit resides in you as the Spirit of Christ reflecting the finished work of the cross. Your spirit was dead in trespasses and sins, but the cleansing of the blood has changed that and now you are His possession. His seal would have no power in you unless He was there to enforce it. He not only seals you, but now He stands at the door.
5. The last effect of this seal is a matchless act. The Holy Ghost actually puts the identification of Jesus upon your conscience and will. The message to the Hebrews describes this clearly. “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.” (Hebrews 8:10-11). The seal of the Holy Ghost inscribes the laws of God upon your minds and your heart. A Godly life is the joy of every believer sealed with the Holy Ghost. The minister won’t have to badger the true believers with the commandments of God. The seal on the heart will reflect the nature of the Lord Jesus Christ and sin will become repulsive.
When I look at this fivefold work of this divine sealing, I understand why the early church turned the world upside down. Souls that are wrought upon by the Holy Ghost in this kind of finished redemption become saints of God, reflecting the life of Jesus Christ. “And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus.” (Ephesians 2:6). This is not modern day religion, but total transformation.