As we look back on the past year, we conclude that 2012 is a year that will go down in infamy.
The issue came to a head this summer when the ObamaCare abortion pill mandate was scheduled to go into effect. The mandate forces employers to provide health insurance coverage that includes abortion-inducing drugs, contraception, and sterilization. And many employers are compelled to provide these in spite of their sincerely held religious beliefs to the contrary.
A family business in Denver decided to take a stand and say “no” to the Obama Administration abortion pill mandate. The Newland family realized that they and their business faced a terrible choice: either comply with the mandate and violate their religious beliefs, or refuse and face crippling fines and penalties.
Alliance Defending Freedom came to the defense of the Newland family. Thankfully, we were able to win an important victory in court. The judge granted an injunction preventing the government from enforcing the abortion pill mandate against the Newlands. However, while this decision is a tremendous victory, it is not the end.
Rather, it is the first battle in an ongoing war—a war to determine whether the government gets to decide not only who is religious, but which religious beliefs are worthy of protection.
Here are five reasons why the ObamaCare abortion pill mandate should concern you.
- If you are an employer, you may be forced to pay for health insurance that provides abortion-inducing drugs, contraception, and sterilization whether it violates your religious beliefs or not.
- If you are an employer and provide health insurance but refuse to include abortion pills, you may be fined $100 per employee per day.
- If you are an employee where your conscience about abortion-inducing drugs, contraception, and sterilization was previously respected, you may now be forced into a health plan that violates your religious beliefs.
- If you are an employee who refuses coverage, you will be fined the greater of either the cost of the plan or 1% of your salary for the first year, 2% of your salary the second year, and 2.5% each year after that.
- Finally, you should be concerned that Planned Parenthood helped craft the mandate and applauded the abortion pill mandate’s provisions. This is not surprising when you consider Planned Parenthood is the largest provider in America’s abortion industry.